Oklahoma Joe's Spicy Barbecue Chicken
- 4 Chicken Halves
- 4 oz. Joe’s Pork and Poultry Rub
- 8 oz. Joe’s BBQ Sauce
- 8 oz. Joe’s Hot BBQ Sauce
- Fire up your Oklahoma Joe Grill/Smoker with Charcoal
- Make sure to build the fire to one side of the grill, or in the firebox so that you cook with indirect heat
- Sprinkle Joe’s Hog Rub and Yard Bird Seasoning liberally all over chicken halves
- Once charcoal is ready to cook on, add a few mesquite wood chunks to the fire
- Place chicken halves onto grill/smoker that is at a temperature around 275 F (If you have built your fire in the grill/smoker, then group the chicken halves away from the coal bed and near the smoke stack.)
- Every 15 minutes, turn chicken. Add charcoal and wood as needed to maintain cooking temperature.
- Mix the BBQ Sauce together and preheat the sauce on grill
- After chicken halves have been on smoker for 1 ½ hour start to baste the chicken halves with sauce. Continue to baste and cook chicken halves until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees against the bone.
- If your chicken halves are getting to dark wrap in foil until they reach 160 degrees against the bone.
- Once you reach 160 degrees remove chicken halves from the grill and serve with your favorite side dishes.
- Or if for competition, quarter and slice for presentation.