Hot Cross Buns
TULSA, Oklahoma - Hard Rock Hotel and Casino: Hot Cross Buns
Presenter: Becca Foy
Prep Time: 120 minutes
Dough Flour Cross Sugar Glaze
½ cup warm water 1/3 cup all-purpose flour ¼ cup sugar
2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast ¼ cup water ¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar, granulated
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
¼ cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 teaspoon ginger, ground
1 cup raisins
- In a small bowl, combine water and yeast and set aside.
- In a small pot, heat the milk and butter over low heat until butter is melted.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, spices and raisins until spices are combined and raisins are coated.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the flour mixture with the milk mixture and add the eggs.
- Mix the dough until smooth and starts to form a ball.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and knead by hand for 5 minutes.
- Put the dough ball in a bowl and cover with wrap and let rest for 1 hour.
- After resting, divide the dough into 12 small rolls and place on a greased baking pan.
- Cover and let rest again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- To make the flour paste, combine the flour and water. Place in a decorating bag and pipe a small cross over the top of the unbaked roll.
- Bake the rolls for 18-20 until golden brown. While the rolls are baking, combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat until simmering and the sugar is dissolved.
- When the rolls are finished baking, use a pastry brush to coat the hot rolls.