Creamed Chicken With Mushrooms & Peppers
Creamed Chicken with Mushrooms & Peppers
8 slices Braum’s Butter Bread
6 tablespoons Hiland Butter, divided
1 (8-ounce) container J-M portabello mushrooms, sliced
1 green pepper, diced small
¼ cup Shawnee Mills All-Purpose Flour
3 cups Hiland Dairy Whole Milk
3 cups cooked, chopped chicken or turkey
1 small jar diced pimentos
½ teaspoon salt
? teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Cut crusts from butter bread, then lightly toast on a cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes.
- Sauté the mushrooms and peppers in 2 tablespoons of the butter until fully cooked. Remove from pan and reserve for later.
- Reduce the heat and melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter,
- Add the flour stirring until the mixture goes from grey to golden in color, about 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk while stirring. When it begins to thicken, add the chicken or turkey and allow this mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Return the sauteed mushrooms and peppers to pan, then add pimentos, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, and serve over the toast.